Saturday, May 20, 2006

Gambolling?




Well, I learnt something new the other day (I do learn new things every day, really, but this was particularly fascinating). Apparently, to call a 'forward roll' (of the gymnastic kind) a 'gambol' is something unique to us Brummies!
I found this very hard to believe so checked out the dictionary, which says:

gam·bol (gmbl)
intr.v. gam·boled or gam·bolled, gam·bol·ing or gam·bol·ling, gam·bols
To leap about playfully; frolic.
n.
A playful skipping or frolicking about.
[Alteration of French gambade, horse's jump, from Old French, perhaps from Old Italian gambata, from gamba, leg, from Late Latin, hoof, perhaps from Greek kamp, bend.]


No mention of actually rolling over here, either - in fact a jump is nothing like a roll.
Could it be true?

So. The reason for this post is to hear your views on this very important subject - is it true that using the word gambol for this purpose is a Birmingham idiosyncrasy? (Is it also true that I am over-using the italics button now that I have located it?) Or do any other areas, people groups or nations use the word for this reason? Are there any other words used for this physical activity?
Comments please so we can settle this matter once and for all!

Incidentally, Noah learnt to gambol/forward roll/rollover this week. My sister Keely taught him this new skill, and I am sure it will prove invaluable to him over the years.

9 Comments:

At 11:08 am, Blogger Hannah said...

I had actually heard of the daps thing, I have a very good friend from Bristol who always called them that. A silly word for pumps if you ask me!

 
At 11:51 am, Blogger Bex said...

Is there an itallics button? Can only find a button labeled 'break' which I don't ever press in case computer actually falls apart.

 
At 12:37 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

Hi Rachel
thanks for leaving your thoughts on this important subject :)
I remember that camp - I'm so old now!! Been married 7 years next month!
Take care x

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey Hannah,

Me too, I'd never heard of it either until coming to England, so I appreciate you informing me correctly...I was going to blame the whole British population for the change in their own language!

"Forward Roll" go on all you brommies - say it out load!

Catch you and your growing clan soon mate.

Aussie John

 
At 11:48 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for such an illuminating fact Han, I thought everyone called a forward roll a 'gambol'. I must be a true Brummie as I use both gambol and munching in my vocab. Let's not even get started on the many names for edible rolls eg. cobs, batches, baps etc!!!!!

Aly P xxxx

 
At 10:07 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Han! I've found your blogspot, how exciting! I've got a friend in London who studied language and he spoke to me about gambols in a room full of Londoners and they all looked at us like we were loons, then i got all confused and started asking them all 'what's a gambol?!?!' and NONE of them knew! A very intense situation in which to find out a piece of information this important!
So there you go - we're actually studied for our gambolling!
xx
Amy (K)

 
At 3:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I do realise that I am about 3-4 months late commenting on the gamboling issue, a word incidentaly that I had not used though I wasn't suprised hearing it's brummie meaning (rang a bell somewhere)... getting back to point though, I remembered that the word or words rather, I've always used is a "rolie polie", or "roly poly". Of course I rushed to the nearest internet connected machine to check if it had been entered into the forward roll archive (Miller Musings) and saw that it was not.... felt it should be there.... where is that italics key..?

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger Emma said...

I too call these gymnastical moves 'roly-poly's'. Gambolling is what little lambs do and is not very gymnastical. However I do not make my point very well by using the non-word 'gymnastical' (or by saying 'non-word'.

 
At 11:35 pm, Blogger Hannah said...

I say roly poly too. Love that word. But do also eat roly poly pudding, and say I'm a roly poly when I've eaten too much.

Em I like the word gynastical.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home